Two of the main areas of your home that are likely to have issues with proper insulation and sealing are your attic and your ductwork. Poor insulation and inadequate sealing can lead to your home losing heating and cooling throughout the year, which causes your Orlando HVAC unit to work harder to compensate. This in turn causes your energy bills to be significantly higher than they should be and your HVAC unit to need replacing sooner than it might otherwise.
Signs Your Attic Is Poorly Insulated or Sealed
Attic insulation is one area home builders believe they can skimp on, so it is likely that your home does not have great insulation in the attic. Here are a few ways you can tell:
- Your home feels drafty, particularly in winter.
- The air temperature varies between rooms or when you are walking down the hallway.
- Certain rooms are too hot or too cold when the rest of the house is comfortable.
- Your HVAC unit seems to be constantly running.
- Your heating or cooling bills seem unnecessarily high.
Signs Your Ductwork Needs Repair
The average home loses roughly 20 percent of its heated and cooled air due to leaks, holes, and poor connections within the home’s ductwork system. Here are a few signs your ductwork needs repairing:
- Certain rooms in your home are difficult to heat or cool.
- Certain rooms always feel stuffy and uncomfortable.
- Your summer and winter utility bills are unusually high.
- You find that your ceilings and vents are dirty.
What You Can Do
If you believe your home is unable to heat and cool efficiently due to poor insulation in your attic or issues within your ductwork, we encourage you to have American Air & Heat come to your home and perform an HVAC system audit. This will help us to pinpoint any issues that might be causing your HVAC unit to be inefficient. Once we have determined exactly where your issues are, we can repair your ductwork and add extra insulation to your attic space.
These improvements will help you to see an immediate reduction in your energy bills. You will also notice that your home will heat and cool more evenly, even in rooms that once were difficult to heat or cool properly. You’ll be amazed at the difference these repairs can make to your indoor air temperatures.